Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986
Under the VEA, compensation is paid as a fortnightly pension. VEA benefits are paid for life and, depending on the level of disability pension, may include access to the Gold Card for health care treatment. Offsetting provisions apply to VEA disability pensions where the same condition is accepted under both the VEA and the SRCA.
Other benefits payable under the VEA, include:
- war widow’s and orphan’s pension, in the event of the veterans’ death where the death is related to service;
- health care treatment cards for specific conditions, or full treatment for all conditions;
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card;
- aids and appliances;
- counselling services;
- educational benefits to children;
- rent assistance;
- income support payments to eligible veterans’ and their dependants.
You are covered under the VEA for injury, disease or death occurring as a result of the following ADF service:
- peacetime service (after completion of three year qualification period) – from 7 December 1972 to 6 April 1994. Members who enlisted before 2 May 1986 and were still serving after 7 April 1994 are also covered;
- all periods of operational service, peacekeeping service and declared hazardous service; and
- warlike or non-warlike operations in East Timor, Afghanistan or Iraq or in any other similarly declared operation.
To claim a disability pension you need to complete a Claim for Disability Pension and/or Application for Increase in Disability Pension (D2582) form.
When completing the form you must clearly state the reasons why you think the condition is related to your service. You must also seek your doctor’s diagnosis of the condition being claimed and the time of onset of the condition.
You may be required to provide other evidence to support your claim. For instance, you may be asked to provide information on your employment history, details of injuries or accidents, or other personal details relating to your claim.
A copy of the Claim for Disability Pension and/or Application for Increase in Disability Pension (D2582) form can be obtained through the DVA website at www.dva.gov.au or by contacting your nearest DVA office on 133 254 or 1800 555 254.