The Better Health Program
The Better Health Program is a GP-based program that provides participants with access to:
- Cancer Screening – provides early detection for colorectal cancer and melanoma; and
- Health Information and Disease Prevention – promotes a healthy lifestyle by providing information on health conditions, including erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety.
- Am I eligible for the Better Health Program?
- What services can I receive?
- How do I register for this program?
- How do I access these services?
- Where can I get further information?
The Better Health Program provides screening for colorectal cancer and melanoma and information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety. The services provided through the Better Health Program include:
- Colorectal cancer screening. Two screening options are available and your GP will determine which option is best for you – either a faecal occult blood test or a colonoscopy.
- Melanoma screening either through an examination by your GP, or through dermoscopy and/or total body digital photography; and
- Health information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety.
If you are diagnosed with a condition, as a result of this screening, you should consult your GP for treatment options.
To register for the Better Health Program, you should complete the SHOAMP Health Care Scheme Group 1 registration form.
After you have registered your interest and you are verified as eligible, you will receive:
- A letter of authority to show to your GP;
- A GP Information Pack to take to the initial GP consultation; and
- Information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety.
If you are making an initial appointment with your General Practitioner (GP), take along the GP information pack and letter of authority to the consultation. Your GP can advise which screening procedures are appropriate for you and refer you to a specialist provider if required. When booking your initial GP consultation, please request a long consultation. You do not need prior approval to attend a GP consultation.
If you wish to access services from specialist providers, (eg gastroenterologist, dermatologist), you must first contact the Better Health Program to request prior approval. Failure to do so may result in you having to pay for your treatment.
Phone: 1800 728 007